Nothing screams more than a “shrimp on the barbie” to celebrate an Aussie Christmas! We have found the best tongue sizzling recipe to start your Christmas lunch with a bang!
Chilli Jam Prawns
- 12 large green prawns, peeled (heads & tails intact), deveined
- 100g chilli jam
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, inner stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves
- Fried Asian shallots, to serve*
- ¼ cup (60ml) coconut cream
- 5 coriander stems, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 5 eschalots, roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs grated fresh turmeric (or ground turmeric)
- 1/3 (80ml) fish sauce
- Juice of 3 limes
- For the citrus marinade, place all the ingredients in a small food processor (or a hand mixer if you don’t have one with you) and whiz until a coarse paste.
- Transfer marinade to a large bowl, add prawns and toss to combine, then chill for 30 minutes or more.
- Preheat a chargrill pan or the barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Cook the prawns, in batches for 1 minute each side or until they just start to colour. Brush one side with a generous amount of the chilli jam and cook for a further 1 minute, then turn, brush again and cook for a final 1 minute. Transfer to a platter.
- To serve, brush the cooked prawns with more chilli jam. Garnish with kaffir lime leaves, coriander leaves, and fried Asian shallots* (optional). Drizzle over the coconut cream and serve with lime halves.